This cream will bring your colour out!

     I have always admired the dark skin that is peculiar to Africans. And am a strong believer of 'the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice' but not everyone seem to think that. Interestingly i like light skinned people too. My best friend is very light. However, she was born that way. For those of us that are in the confused skin colour group- not 'black', 'chocolate' or 'fair - its more tricky for us.
     You cannot refer to me as dark, however, if you describe me as' that fair girl', you get the side eye. So, i don't know if its the struggle to belong to the light skin group that precipitates bleaching. Yes, we know, call it by any other name - toning, bringing out your colour (as if the colour was one of your internal organs), bleaching is what it is.
    In recent times, awareness on the dangers of bleaching had been spread, and the ones not past the stage of reason have become weary of it. And so, the cream peddlers have devised other strategies. Yours truly wanted to get her cream, went into the cosmetics shop, and asked for Vaseline, Aloe Vera. The lady said that's for black people. But, I AM Black! She recommended i use egg yoke cream.
    "It will lighten you".
    "Ma, I don't bleach!"
   "Who said anything about Bleaching? I no dey sell Bleaching cream for this my shop o. It will bring out your colour" eh-eh?!
    "But this is my colour, always has been"
     "E go make your colour shine"
   Oh boy, see argument!
Finally, i got the Vaseline i came for and left. Turns out the Vaseline was #900 and the egg yoke sells for #3500! No wonder! In this buhari economy?
   Many at times, i see people changing colours like a chameleon and ask, "what cream are you using?" they are quick to name a "toning" cream.
   "but that cream bleaches now"
    "i want my colour to come out"

Your colour was never inside.
    While it is true that sometimes, the skin looks ashy and dull, Its usually due to stress, unwelcome change and poor eating habits. It has nothing to do with your colour being inside and needing to come out.
   So if you are one of those using a cream that has been promised to "bring out your colour", Nwannem, you are Bleaching!
   Tell us of your experiences with people who used cream to bring out their colour.

Comments

  1. I like this one.
    But I'd like to ask if there is something fundamentally wrong with bleaching? I just want to know what people think. ~winks~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The first period.

Being watched