Scarred....... V

    Blessing sat staring at her phone, still reeling from the call she just received. She looked up when her sister Mercy walked in.
    "When Melvin comes, please tell him something came up, and i had to rush out".
   Her sister looked at her like she had grown an extra head. "Why? You are already dressed, and was just talking about your date, what changed? And i.......... "
    As is prevalent in all African homes, a simple look from Blessing killed whatever Mercy had to say.
    "Okay o. Hmmph!" She walked out.
   Soon, Melvin came in. He was promptly told that Blessing had left urgently because something came up.
     "But, her car is outside".
     Mercy, who hadn't prepared for this couldn't come up with a response. "Erm, she left with someone, that is someone came to pick her. Yes."
     "Well, i guess i will wait for her then". He makes to sit down.
     "Erm, no........"
     "What?"
     "Erm..."
    "What she is trying to say is i don't want to see you" They both turn to see Blessing at the door.
     "What? Why?"
     "Why don't you ask your girlfriend?" by
      "What? Who? Am not seeing anyone except you even if our relationship is undefined. I was hoping we could change that".
     "Na so! And to think i was so stupid. But am never going to be good enough for you, am i? I wasn't good enough in secondary school, why would anything change? Please, leave".
      "What! Secondary school where you suddenly changed? What has that got to do with anything? I thought we were past that? Bless, what is going on?"
      "Whats going on is me, falling victim to your using me for your own gain. I thought you had changed. Only for your girlfriend to call to tell me what a good laugh you guys had at my expense. I never should have let my guard down!"
      "This must be a joke! I don't have any girlfriend. I thought we were going........"
     "Oh, please, quit lying! I just got off the phone with her. She told me everything. I thought our friendship meant something to you. I let go all you said 10 years ago chalking it up to youthful exuberance. That was a mistake. You chose her all those years ago. I just never thought you were still together. My mistake."
       "Who?"
      She laughs, but it was without any warmth. "You no know your girlfriend again? Rita! She told me everything. She was also the one who told me all you said 10 years ago. How i was begging you to deflower me. How i begged you to love me. But you refused because i am too dark. Cat got your tongue? Get out of my house!" She walks to her door, opens and motions him out. Melvin was too stunned to react. He dutifully obeyed.
   Blessing watched him as he got in His car and drove off. The sobs came from deep within, body racking and heart wrenching. He sister was tearing up even as she consoled her. Her heart and her Pride hurt. Twice she had been Melvin's plaything. He hadn't even been able to say anything in his defence. Due to guilt, no doubt. The first time, had not hurt this much. It was puppy love. This time she had fallen well and truly in love and it hurt more than anything. Made worse by the knowledge that she was a glutton for pain. She had brought this on herself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This cream will bring your colour out!

The first period.

Being watched